It is possible that Trump's doctors may unnecessarily dose Trump with potentially dangerous drugs at their own request, in the hopes that something in the mix will recover faster than most patients with its symptoms. But it hardly seems likely.
Some reactions and topics from experts and others:
According to Sanjay Gupta, Walter Reed's doctors "toss the sink" to Trump and feed him 3 different "serious" drugs, one of which is experimental in nature. He suggests this is far more serious than what Conley claims.
– Tim Alberta (@TimAlberta) October 4, 2020
1 / What did we learn about the President's health today?
– He had a fever and oxygen saturation below 94% on Friday, which resulted in his being transferred to Walter Reed Hospital.
– His oxygen saturation dropped on Saturday morning. He was started on dexamethasone. pic.twitter.com/1Nq2xY6Dpy
– Céline Gounder, MD, ScM, FIDSA (@celinegounder) October 4, 2020
Therefore, dexamethasone was found to be beneficial ONLY in patients on ventilation OR oxygen.
NOT in patients who do not require oxygen.
There was even a possibility of harm in this patient population.
– Craig Spencer, MD MPH (@Craig_A_Spencer) October 4, 2020
In patients hospitalized with Covid-19, use of dexamethasone resulted in lower 28-day mortality in patients who were randomized to receive either mechanical ventilation or oxygen alone when randomized, but not in patients who did not receive respiratory assistance received https://t.co/cycWC6rJCG
– Shelley Shenton (@shelleyshenton) October 4, 2020
Bottom Line: It appears Trump is stable but is at high risk given the transient hypoxemia and some breast imaging findings. The happy conversation and evasive maneuvers are clearly in Trump's direction and put the documents in a terrible position. There is no way he is ready for discharge tomorrow. (8/8)
– Bob Wachter (@Bob_Wachter) October 4, 2020
What does it all mean? We don't know, but it's not good. Trump's doctors seem to be hiding the real gravity of Trump's condition – or, far less likely, over-medication for reasons unknown. Since this White House has lied relentlessly about the smallest details for the past four years, we cannot take anything that is being said now at face value. Most or all of it is wrong. However, the announced treatment plan does not match the rosy claims made about Trump's current condition.