Clicky

Shipping News and Reviews

America can solely win the battle towards COVID-19 if we discover a technique to attain out to anti-Vax Republicans

Last week the Associated Press published an article on growing concern about the vaccination gap, carefully discussing the difference between states and the rural / urban divide within states, while the cause largely tiptoed. But there is really only one cause.

Ten states exceed 70%, but eight states are below 50%.

According to Civiqs, 86% of Democrats say they have been vaccinated and 8% say they will be vaccinated for a total of 94%. Half of the rest are unsure, only 3% say no. But among Republicans, 47% say they have been vaccinated and 4% still say they will be vaccinated for a total of 51%. A full 40% of Republicans still give a No.All Along with Independents, and 73% of American adults are determined to get vaccinated while 21% say no. And 73% of adults are just not enough, not if we want to get to the point where COVID-19 cases are not only resolved, but the virus is actually no longer circulating in the community.

For the past six weeks, Pfizer's vaccine was approved for use between the ages of 12 and 18 years. Moderna's vaccine should be approved for the same age group within the next two weeks, closely followed by Johnson & Johnson. Approximately 6 million Americans between the ages of 12 and 18 have been vaccinated, and that number should accelerate – especially if states or local school districts need a vaccination before students can return to school in the fall. This change in vaccine availability is actually reflected in the national rate of vaccine administration in the form of a small "bump" from mid-May.

Daily count of total doses administered and reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

That vaccine numbers peaked and then began to decline may seem like a failure, but it is actually inevitable. After all, people can only be vaccinated once (or, as you know, twice), and eventually everyone will be vaccinated. The real problem with this graph is that the peak should have come about a month – and about 50 million Americans – later.

There are signs that Republican resistance is easing. The numbers that gave a definitive "no" began to decline slightly when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released the vaccine to people aged 12 and over. A recent survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 40% of those in the “wait and see” group could switch to the “yes” category if the vaccines received full FDA approval. What is good. But it's still not enough as it would only add 3% -4% more to the totals.

That brings us to incentives. Ohio has now announced its first-ever million dollar vaccine lottery winner, and the New York Times reports the idea is taking off across the country. That's because, as Axios figured out, the idea apparently worked. Not only did Ohio give away $ 1 million to a happy 22-year-old young engineer, it also resulted in a measurable surge in vaccinations.

In fact, the Ohio experiment was so successful that California, Colorado, Maryland, and Oregon pledged to offer similar incentives. And that's great. Other than that, these are some of the same states that have had high levels of vaccination. The incentives might be able to push those areas past the magic number, but what we won't do is save us from where we are right now – to where COVID-19 is an endemic disease Republican dominated communities is.

On the one hand, it can be easy to shake off this result. On the other hand … no. Giving COVID-19 the chance to keep jumping around among millions of Americans means not only more variants, but more exposure for those who cannot be vaccinated for real medical reasons.

Here's a simple solution: a national lottery. Throw in $ 50 million and give away a million dollar prize to a lucky person across the nation who got a vaccine. A new award will only be given if the nation adds another percentage point to the total vaccination. Watch it. Have President Joe Biden put his hand in a fishbowl. Do whatever you can to get people to get a bump in the arm.

When you see those who have spent months denying COVID-19, making fun of the vaccine and mocking people in masks, suffer the consequences, it can seem like karma. But it also keeps the nation at risk.

National lottery. Let's do this.

Comments are closed.