Former US President Donald Trump leaves Trump Tower in Manhattan on May 18, 2021 in New York City.
James Devaney | GC images | Getty Images
Former President Donald Trump's blog – a website where he shared statements after major social media companies banned him from their platforms – has been permanently closed, his spokesman said on Wednesday.
The "From the Desk of Donald J. Trump" page has been removed from Trump's website after going live less than a month earlier. It "won't return," its senior advisor Jason Miller told CNBC.
"It was just an addition to the broader endeavors we are working and working on," Miller said in an email correspondence.
Read more about CNBC's political coverage:
He declined to provide any further details about these efforts.
"I hope to have more information about the wider effort soon, but I don't have an exact knowledge of the timing," Miller said.
Facebook and Twitter banned Trump from posting on their platforms after January 6, when a mob of supporters of the then president forcibly entered the U.S. Capitol and forced a joint session of Congress to go into hiding. Trump, who never gave in to President Joe Biden, repeatedly and falsely claimed on social media after the November 3 election that his race was stolen by widespread fraud.
Trump and his allies have long accused social media giants of being tainted with political bias and censoring conservatives. The former president teased the introduction of an alternative platform.
But the blog, which was unveiled last month and originally billed as a new "communication platform", seemed ill-equipped to take on the biggest social media companies.
Miller then made it clear – on Twitter – that the “desk” page was “a great resource” for finding Trump's statements, “but this is not a new social media platform”.
At the time of his De-platform in January, Trump had tens of millions of followers on Twitter and millions more on Facebook.
Trump's blog, on the other hand, struggled to collect even a fraction of that commitment, NBC News reported a week after its launch, citing data compiled with BuzzSumo.
Since stepping down from office on January 20, the former president, who has strongly hinted that he could run for president again in 2024, has only made a handful of personal appearances and only participated in interviews with media friends.
This is the latest news. Please check again for updates.